Former FIFA Vice President pleads not guilty – under house arrest

Jeffrey Webb

Jeffrey Webb

NEW YORK, Jul. 19, CMC – Jeffrey Webb, the former head of CONCACAF, the region’s governing body for football, was granted bail amounting to US$10 million and placed under house arrest when he appeared in court here on Saturday.

Webb, also a former FIFA Vice President is accused of accepting bribes worth millions of dollars in connecting with the sale of marketing rights.

He was detained in Switzerland in May, along with six football officials before begin extradited to the US last week.

The New York judge who ordered to remain at home in a 20 mile radius of the court, also told the court that Webb’s movements will be monitored via and electronic tag.

He was also required to hand over his three passports.

According to court documents, the prosecutors allege that among the bribes Webb allegedly received was a US$ 1.1 million to award the marketing rights to a Miami based company for the 2012 CONCACAF Gold Cup and Champions league tournament.

Webb, 50, was banned by FIFA after he was indicted in May in the United States.

He entered a plea of not guilty to charges of money laundering, wire fraud and racketeering.

 

Comments are closed.

Newsletter

Archives

Jeffrey Webb

Jeffrey Webb

NEW YORK, Jul. 19, CMC – Jeffrey Webb, the former head of CONCACAF, the region’s governing body for football, was granted bail amounting to US$10 million and placed under house arrest when he appeared in court here on Saturday.

Webb, also a former FIFA Vice President is accused of accepting bribes worth millions of dollars in connecting with the sale of marketing rights.

Insert Ads Here

He was detained in Switzerland in May, along with six football officials before begin extradited to the US last week.

The New York judge who ordered to remain at home in a 20 mile radius of the court, also told the court that Webb’s movements will be monitored via and electronic tag.

He was also required to hand over his three passports.

According to court documents, the prosecutors allege that among the bribes Webb allegedly received was a US$ 1.1 million to award the marketing rights to a Miami based company for the 2012 CONCACAF Gold Cup and Champions league tournament.

Webb, 50, was banned by FIFA after he was indicted in May in the United States.

He entered a plea of not guilty to charges of money laundering, wire fraud and racketeering.