Categorized | Entertainment, Featured, Local, News

Festival 2014 Opens

 

DSC_1012

DSC_1013

(l to r) Hogan, Willock, last years Queen

2014 Montserrat festival was officially opened last week Saturday (Dec 13) at the new Festival City. The event featured the introductions of the Miss Montserrat Queen contestants as well as the contestants of the St. John’s Action club princess show.

 

During the opening ceremony the Hon. Minister of Trade Claude Hogan, acting Premier addressed an eventual appreciable crowd, along with the Hon Parliamentary Secretary Gregory Willock in his capacity with responsibility for Culture and Festival.

Hogan said the investments in the tourism product which draw people to the island will no doubt help in Montserrat’s economic recovery programme. Meanwhile Willock stated, it is an indisputable fact that no society can exist without a culture.

The acting Premier was subtle as he welcomed and declared the festival officially opened. After thanking and recognising the Hon Gregory Willock, “whose passion,” he said, “had brought us to this wonderful creation for the Hosting of festival 2014…we have prepared to give you the best that we can, especially our folks from the Diaspora who have come home to be with us and with their family for Christmas.”

DSC_1014He continued, “So you have just come, you can’t miss this festival, because we have lots of culture, talent and creativity for you and we are especially grateful for all of you who have braved the storm of getting into Montserrat,” noting, “having to sojourn at Antigua some of you, for two nights as I understand it.”

DSC_1064He promised they meet the usual characters in Montserrat, but unsure there is a John Bull. “But,” he continued, “there is a new character in Montserrat,” claiming it to be a joke, “the new character in Montserrat is on the basketball committee, he’s with football, he knows everything about procurement and he knows everything about festival and he is working as if he is a government in exile.”

DSC_1119Willock in the meantime expressed his passion to ensure the festival takes place. “I’m passionate about it, because it needs passion…It is very important that we understand why we celebrate. We didn’t start it; this is our fifty second year of festivities,” he said, pointing out, “There is a lot of hard work that has gone into making sure that this festival come of and come of successfully.”He noted also, calling on everyone to celebrate “…some of our plans had to be postponed, cancelled even because of lack of resources, yet we’re determined to celebrate, and I want every one of you to celebrate because it is important to express yourself,” he encouraged.

Willock declared there were the challenges but there specific individuals and departments he wished to be noted as, “they have made this year’s festivities possible.” The Festival Committee led by Mrs Denise Phillip and her team and I want to identify Miss Rushelle Gordon, Miss Natasha Curtin and Miss Janelle Jackson.

DSC_1080He also referred to one person who, “did not care if he got paid and he was looked upon as someone in the society that probably would not have done it and his name is Goldie Charles.” He sought cheers, “for a gentlemen by the name of Goldie Charles because he is responsible or the fencing you see here despite all the other works…”

Following the declaration by acting Premier Hogan who declared the launch of Montserrat Festival 2014 opened, with fireworks; there was entertainment galore from different artists and groups including the Emerald Chamiole Masquerades, Geneses Steel Orchestra, the Rude Boys String Band and the Emerald Community Singers, there was also a Calypso rendition by the reigning calypso monarch Baptiste Wallace, and over an hour-long live band performance by Fire Stone among others.

Leave a Reply

TMR print pages

Newsletter

Archives

CARICOM – Staff Vacancy

CXC HEADQUARTERS - Executive Search

https://indd.adobe.com/embed/2b4deb22-cf03-4509-9bbd-938c7e8ecc7d

A Moment with the Registrar of Lands

 

DSC_1012

DSC_1013

(l to r) Hogan, Willock, last years Queen

Insert Ads Here

2014 Montserrat festival was officially opened last week Saturday (Dec 13) at the new Festival City. The event featured the introductions of the Miss Montserrat Queen contestants as well as the contestants of the St. John’s Action club princess show.

 

During the opening ceremony the Hon. Minister of Trade Claude Hogan, acting Premier addressed an eventual appreciable crowd, along with the Hon Parliamentary Secretary Gregory Willock in his capacity with responsibility for Culture and Festival.

Hogan said the investments in the tourism product which draw people to the island will no doubt help in Montserrat’s economic recovery programme. Meanwhile Willock stated, it is an indisputable fact that no society can exist without a culture.

The acting Premier was subtle as he welcomed and declared the festival officially opened. After thanking and recognising the Hon Gregory Willock, “whose passion,” he said, “had brought us to this wonderful creation for the Hosting of festival 2014…we have prepared to give you the best that we can, especially our folks from the Diaspora who have come home to be with us and with their family for Christmas.”

DSC_1014He continued, “So you have just come, you can’t miss this festival, because we have lots of culture, talent and creativity for you and we are especially grateful for all of you who have braved the storm of getting into Montserrat,” noting, “having to sojourn at Antigua some of you, for two nights as I understand it.”

DSC_1064He promised they meet the usual characters in Montserrat, but unsure there is a John Bull. “But,” he continued, “there is a new character in Montserrat,” claiming it to be a joke, “the new character in Montserrat is on the basketball committee, he’s with football, he knows everything about procurement and he knows everything about festival and he is working as if he is a government in exile.”

DSC_1119Willock in the meantime expressed his passion to ensure the festival takes place. “I’m passionate about it, because it needs passion…It is very important that we understand why we celebrate. We didn’t start it; this is our fifty second year of festivities,” he said, pointing out, “There is a lot of hard work that has gone into making sure that this festival come of and come of successfully.”He noted also, calling on everyone to celebrate “…some of our plans had to be postponed, cancelled even because of lack of resources, yet we’re determined to celebrate, and I want every one of you to celebrate because it is important to express yourself,” he encouraged.

Willock declared there were the challenges but there specific individuals and departments he wished to be noted as, “they have made this year’s festivities possible.” The Festival Committee led by Mrs Denise Phillip and her team and I want to identify Miss Rushelle Gordon, Miss Natasha Curtin and Miss Janelle Jackson.

DSC_1080He also referred to one person who, “did not care if he got paid and he was looked upon as someone in the society that probably would not have done it and his name is Goldie Charles.” He sought cheers, “for a gentlemen by the name of Goldie Charles because he is responsible or the fencing you see here despite all the other works…”

Following the declaration by acting Premier Hogan who declared the launch of Montserrat Festival 2014 opened, with fireworks; there was entertainment galore from different artists and groups including the Emerald Chamiole Masquerades, Geneses Steel Orchestra, the Rude Boys String Band and the Emerald Community Singers, there was also a Calypso rendition by the reigning calypso monarch Baptiste Wallace, and over an hour-long live band performance by Fire Stone among others.