Categorized | News, Regional

Death toll reaches 51 in Caribbean migrant boat sinking

Santo Domingo – At least 51 people were confirmed dead after a boat carrying them from the Dominican Republic to Puerto Rico sank last week in the Caribbean Sea, news reports said late Thursday.

Bodies have been washing ashore daily since the boat went down Saturday near Samana Bay, off the coast of the Dominican Republic, the reports said, citing local officials.

The reports said 11 people survived the shipwreck, while 13 of the 75 passengers remained missing. Earlier reports said 13 passengers had been rescued.

The ship reportedly embarked Saturday and sank a few hours later. The passengers were described as seeking a better life on the nearby island, a US commonwealth.

Around 200 people have died in the area in similar accidents over the last 10 years, the daily Listin Diario reported. The deadliest mishap was in July 2004, when 70 people drowned on their way to Puerto Rico.

Leave a Reply

Newsletter

Archives

Santo Domingo – At least 51 people were confirmed dead after a boat carrying them from the Dominican Republic to Puerto Rico sank last week in the Caribbean Sea, news reports said late Thursday.

Bodies have been washing ashore daily since the boat went down Saturday near Samana Bay, off the coast of the Dominican Republic, the reports said, citing local officials.

The reports said 11 people survived the shipwreck, while 13 of the 75 passengers remained missing. Earlier reports said 13 passengers had been rescued.

Insert Ads Here

The ship reportedly embarked Saturday and sank a few hours later. The passengers were described as seeking a better life on the nearby island, a US commonwealth.

Around 200 people have died in the area in similar accidents over the last 10 years, the daily Listin Diario reported. The deadliest mishap was in July 2004, when 70 people drowned on their way to Puerto Rico.