Archive | Crime

Who lost a ton of marijuana? The Coast Guard has it now

The crew of the Coast Guard Cutter Resolute, a 210-foot Reliance-class cutter, homeported in St. Petersburg, on-load a ton of marijuana on March 17 that was interdicted from two suspected drug smuggling vessels during a 71-day deployment in the Caribbean Sea. The marijuana, worth an estimated $2.2 million, was offloaded Tuesday in St. Petersburg for disposal.
The crew of the Coast Guard Cutter Resolute, a 210-foot Reliance-class cutter, homeported in St. Petersburg, on-load a ton of marijuana on March 17 that was interdicted from two suspected drug smuggling vessels during a 71-day deployment in the Caribbean Sea. The marijuana, worth an estimated $2.2 million, was offloaded Tuesday in St. Petersburg for disposal. Ens. Sarah Ritchie U.S. Coast Guard
Read more here: http://www.bradenton.com/news/state/article210713929.html#storylink=cpy

Posted in Buisness/Economy/Banking, Crime, International, News, Police0 Comments

Customs and border protection US

US customs agents nab Jamaican national with cocaine at NY airport

NEW YORK, Apr 12, CMC – United States Customs and Border Protection (CBP) agency says an arriving passenger from Jamaica at John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York did not enjoy a “Happy Hour” as officers seized her illegal cocktail.

In a report on Wednesday, CBP said that, on April 8, Stefisha Miller, a Jamaican, arrived on a flight from Kingston, Jamaica.

Customs and border protection USCBP officers inspected a duty-free box she was carrying that contained two bottles of Bailey’s Irish Cream, stuffed with plastic bags.

The officers then escorted Miller to a private search room, where the bottles were examined, revealing a bag of white powder that tested positive for cocaine.

Miller was arrested for the importation of a controlled substance and was turned over to US Homeland Security Investigations (HSI).

It said the weight of cocaine seized was about 6 lbs. with an estimated street value of US$110,000.

“The smuggling of illicit drugs poses a significant threat to our nation, and CBP does its part in keeping these drugs off our streets.” said Francis J. Russo, Acting Director of CBP’s New York Field Operations.

“As America’s unified border security agency, our employees are determined to protect the public from these substances,” he added.

CBP said Miller now faces US federal narcotics smuggling charges and will be prosecuted by the US Attorney’s Office in the US Eastern District Court of New York.k

Posted in Crime, International, Local, News, Regional0 Comments

crimmee

Secondary school student in brutal attack on mother

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad, Apr 20, CMC –Education Minister Anthony Garcia said that the necessary resources and experts from the Student Support Services Division of the Ministry of Education will be sent to a secondary school, south of here, after a student is reported to have severely injured his mother in a fit of rage over school work earlier this week.

crimmeeGarcia said that the Ministry had received a report regarding the incident in which the 15-year-old Presentation College student allegedly chopped his mother almost severing one of her arms, and also inflicting multiple wounds to her head, chest and arms.

The student has since been taken into police custody following the incident on Wednesday night.

Police said that the woman had been found at the house by her husband on his return from work on Thursday and that the student had been found in a nearby village after fleeing the house.

The mother has since undergone emergency and the Head of Central Division, Senior Superintendent,  Inraj Balram described the incident as very disturbing.

“It is appalling for a 15-year-old who is attending a prestigious school to resort to that kind of violence against his own mother. I am pleading with people who have troubled children to seek counselling for them,” Balram is quoted in the Friday edition of the Trinidad Guardian newspaper.

Posted in Crime, Education, Health, Local, News, Regional0 Comments

marijuuu

Former health minister renews call for decriminalising marijuana

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad, Apr 20, CMC – Former health minister Dr. Fuad khan Friday renewed his call for the decriminalisation of marijuana for medical purposes.

“Trinidad and Tobago needs to join the march towards decriminalization of marijuana, particularly for medical use” Dr. Khan, an opposition legislator, said in a statement in which he noted that as of this year several countries including Australia, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, the Czech Republic, India, Israel, Jamaica, Mexico, the Netherlands, Portugal, South Africa, Spain, Uruguay, and some U.S. jurisdictions, had done so.

marijuuuThe global community is Friday observing International Day of Cannabis, commonly referred to as “420’ and Dr. Khan said “on the occasion of 420, I once again renew my call for the decriminalization of the use of marijuana”.

The opposition legislator, a medical practitioner, said that in his contribution to the budget debate last year “ I pointed out the many benefits to the economy by legalizing marijuana, its medical uses and the need to desist from criminalizing young men in particular for using small amounts.
“ I went to great lengths to show the benefits but the current government has constantly ignored all calls for changes to the law. Prime Minister Dr. Keith Rowley when asked about the legalization of marijuana in 2015 said that while the issue might be “fashionable” at the moment, it isn’t a priority for his government.”

Dr. Khan said that the government’s “continuing failure to broach matters of national importance has become a serious drawback when it comes to our society evolving based on science, pragmatism and common sense.”.

He said Trinidad and Tobago has some of the highest rates of cancer, hypertension and diabetes in the region and if marijuana licences are granted, the country can begin to benefit from the positive medical benefits.
“Patients with epilepsy, diabetes, cancer, multiple sclerosis, irritable bowel syndrome and other conditions will be able to have access to legal marijuana, not having the added burden of trying to evade law enforcement,” Khan said, noting that while the debate continues on the efficacy of medical marijuana, several major research have been undertaken to understand the positive effects of the marijuana.

He quoted the findings of several research studies on the issue insisting that Trinidad and Tobago must move swiftly to separate marijuana from the very real and dangerous illegal drug trade and allow the people who use it as medicine to do so without being incarcerated.

“Marijuana smokers are not second class citizens. Adults have the legal right to consume alcohol, tobacco and other legal drugs but are criminalized if they choose marijuana, a natural herb. That is neither reasonable nor fair,” Dr. Khan added.

Posted in Buisness/Economy/Banking, Crime, Health, International, Local, News, Regional, Science/Technology0 Comments

court rul

Man denied bail on charges of sexually assaulting a minor

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad, Apr 18, CMC – A 53-year-old man has been denied bail after he appeared before a city magistrate on charges of sexual penetration and sexual touching of a seven-year-old girl.

Ted Dookie, 53, appeared before Magistrate Adia Mohammed charged with one count of sexual penetration and two counts of sexual touching against a minor. He will return to court on May 1.

court rulThe court heard that the incidents are alleged to have occurred between December 17, 2017 and Thursday February 1, this year.

Meanwhile, a 56-year-old man charged with raping a 12-year-old girl and molesting her 13-year-old sister, has been committed to stand trial in the High Court.

Hubert Mannette was granted TT$200,000 (One TT dollar=US$0.17 cents) bail after he was charged with charged with two counts of sexual touching of a 13-year-old girl and one count of sexual penetration of a 12-year-old girl.

Police said they have also charged a 26-year-old man with two counts of having sexual intercourse with a female under the age of 14-years-old and one count of sexual penetration of a female child on March 26 this year.

Anthony Michael Mitchell, who was granted TT$100,000, has since been committed to stand trial in the High Court. He has been ordered not to come within 500 feet of the alleged victim or have any form of communication with her.

Posted in Court, Crime, Local, News, Police, Regional0 Comments

crimeeeee

Jamaica records increase in murders since start of year

KINGSTON, Jamaica, Apr 13, CMC – Jamaica police say 385 people, including 13 children, have been murdered here since the start of the year, a 4.1 per cent increase over the same period last year.

The Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF) said shootings increased by 0.6 per cent over the period January 1 to April 7, 2018. However, there was a 17.6 per cent reduction in the number of reported cases of rape and a 33.1 per cent reduction in aggravated assault.

crimeeeeeThe JCF said 301 people were killed by gunmen and that approximately 205 firearms, including 15 rifles and 150 pistols, have been seized up to April 7, this year.

The figures show contrasting crime figures for the two areas in which a state of public emergency is now in effect.

According to the police, in the St. Catherine North division, the police say up to Sunday, 51 murders had been recorded as compared to 38 murders in 2017, a 34 per cent increase.

However in St. James, there were 46 fewer murders or a just over 66% reduction when compared with the similar period in 2017.  The figures show that there were 69 murders last year as compared with 23 during the same period this year.

The police figures show that in St Andrew South, there were 55 murders since the start of this year, up from the 16 recorded for the same period last year and in Portland and Manchester there were four murders each recorded during the period.

Last year, Jamaica recorded more than 1,600 murders.

Posted in Crime, International, Local, News, Regional0 Comments

Hermangild Francis

St Lucia starts process of returning prisoners to BVI and TCI

CASTRIES, St Lucia, Apr, 12 CMC – St. Lucia has began the process of returning prisoners to the Turks and Caicos Islands (TCI) and the British Virgin Islands.

The prisoners who were transferred to St Lucia last year following hurricane damage to both British overseas territories.

Hermangild Francis
Hermangild Francis

On Thursday, National Security Minister Hermangild Francis, announced that one of the 24 prisoners has so far been been repatriated.

“Today one of them is being repatriated because his sentence in the Turks and Caicos Islands has expired, so we have to send him back. Two Marshals came from the Turks and Caicos Islands and the gentleman has been sent back – so we now have 23,” the National Security Minister explained.

“We will be in touch with the Turks and Caicos Islands and the BVI as to the condition of the prisons so that as soon as we are satisfied that they are secure, those persons will be repatriated,” Francis stated.

He disclosed that although housing the TCI and BVI inmates  at the Bordelais Correctional Facility here comes at a cost, St Lucia will be repaid.

Francis disclosed that the travelling expenses of the inmates are not St Lucia’s responsibility.

He said St Lucia would ensure that the prisoners from the British colonies remain safe until they can be repatriated.

However in the BVI,  the  government is close to completing provisions to allow for the return of the hardened inmates of Her Majesty’s Prison (HMP).

“It is time for our prisoners housed in St. Lucia to be back at Balsam Ghut where they can be in touch with their families and friends,” said Dr. Orlando Smith, the BVI’s Premier and Minister of Finance.

The BVI has to pay US$78,000 to the government of St. Lucia, to accommodate the prisoners for six months.

Government had anticipated that the inmates would return by March.

Last month, Myron Walwyn, Minister of Education and Culture said that repair works on the Balsam Ghut penitentiary have commenced and are progressing well. He indicated that this will allow for the inmates to return soon.

The BVI Government in its proposed Recovery and Development Plan for the Territory, indicated that US$10.5 million will be needed to repair the prison.

According to the plan, the monies will allow for prison infrastructure repairs, including security fence, infrastructure improvements and expansion, ICT infrastructure, and vehicles.

The inmates were sent to St. Lucia after the September hurricanes, which caused extensive damage to Her Majesty’s Prison at Balsam Ghut.

Posted in Buisness/Economy/Banking, Crime, International, Local, Regional0 Comments

prisons

Businessman sentenced to life for murdering family of six

KINGSTON, Jamaica, Apr. 12, CMC –  A 50 year old businessman was sentenced to 120 years behind bars for the murder of a family of six in the eastern parish of St. Thomas, 12 years ago.

prisonsIn handing down the sentence on Thursday, Justice Bertram  Morrison said  McLean must serve 48 years before being eligible for parole.

McLean, a chef, was convicted  of murder on all six counts after a seven member jury handed down a unanimous verdict, on March 6.

He was convicted of killing his former girlfriend Terry-Ann Mohammed, her son, Jessie O’Gilvie, 9, her niece –  Patrice Martin-McCool and her children, Lloyd McCool, 3, Jihad McCool, 6, and Sean Chin, 9, in the eastern parish on February 25, 2006.

However, McLean has  denied any involvement in the killings.

Posted in Buisness/Economy/Banking, Court, Crime, Local, Regional0 Comments

Vladjimir Legagneur

Media association condemns silence of police as search continues for missing journalist

PORT AU PRINCE, Haiti, Mar 27, CMC – The National Association of Haitian Media (ANMH) Tuesday said it is concerned at the silence of the police and judicial authorities following the disappearance of photo-journalist Vladjimir Legagneur.

The ANMH said that he left for an assignment in Grand-Ravine, in the district of Martissant, on March 14, the one of the areas where, in recent years, gang clashes have been particularly violent.

Vladjimir Legagneur
Vladjimir Legagneur

The ANMH said it was calling on the Director General of the National Police of Haiti and the Government Commissioner of the jurisdiction of Port-au-Prince “to make every effort to find Vladjimir Legagneur and reassure his family, his loved ones and his colleagues”.

The media group said that while many officials including Limond Toussaint, the Minister of Culture of Communication, have expressed some concern about the disappearance of the photo-journalist he has not been found.

The ANMH said that Toussaint statement that the police and judicial authorities “are hard at work “is the first official reaction of the government in this matter.

The spokesman for the National Police of Haiti (PNH), Frantz Lerebours, said the authorities have received no information regarding the journalist’s disappearance.

“In such cases, without a ransom demand, we fear a fatal outcome,” he said, adding “the situation is very worrying but we cannot presume of his death without having found his body.”

The head of the Latin America office of Reporters Without Borders (RSF), Emmanuel Colombié, has also expressed concern about the slow pace of the investigation.

“It is extremely worrying that, 10 days after his disappearance, the police were unable to bring no new element,” he added.

In recent years, a number of people including journalists and media workers have disappeared without ever having been found.

Posted in Crime, International, Local, News, Police, Regional0 Comments

court

Man jailed after abducting six-year-old girl

KINGSTOWN, St. Vincent, Mar 30, CMC – High Court judge Brian Cottle has sentenced a 24-year-old man to five and  half years in jail after he was found guilty of abducting a six-year-old child and attempting to rape her earlier this month.

The judge sentenced Kural Baptiste to one year imprisonment for abduction, two years for indecent assault, and six years for attempted rape. The sentences will run concurrently and will include a discount for the time the man spent on remand. The exact date of the incident was not disclosed except that it occured in March.

Baptiste pleaded guilty to the charge when he was arraigned one week earlier.

courtThe court heard that on the date in question, the victim went to use an outside toilet and the defendant saw her and waited until she was finished. He later took her to his house, kissed her on her lips and undressed her.

The defendant also undressed himself and attempted to have sex with the child.

He, however, abandoned the crime and gave the child an EC$0.25 cents( One EC dollar=US$0.37 cents)  coin and let her out of the house.

The child’s mother, who had gone in search of her, saw her exiting the house and questioned her. She reported the matter to the police.

When he came up for sentencing on Thursday, attorney Ronald Marks, who had defended Baptiste during the preliminary inquiry noted that his former client had pleaded guilty at the first opportunity.

He said that while a psychiatric evaluation of Baptiste he had requested had not been provided, the guilty plea was a powerful mitigating factor, which, he said, was buttressed by the fact that at 34 years old, Baptiste had no previous convictions.

The lawyer said that the offences for which Baptiste had pleaded guilty were quite out of character for the man and that Baptiste had told the social worker that at the time of the crime he was in such a drunken state that his judgement was altered.

He said that Baptiste had shown remorse via his guilty plea.

But in handing down his sentence, Justice Cottle noted the seriousness of the offences, adding that abduction can attract a maximum sentence of five years, while the maximum penalty for rape or attempted rape is life imprisonment.

The judge noted that Baptiste had pleaded guilty and had expressed remorse and that the accused had realised that his conduct was wrong and had stopped, and this is why he would not get a more severe sentence.

“It is good that you stopped but you shouldn’t have started,” the judge said, adding that there is no way to know how the ordeal might affect the girl when she is grown.

Posted in Crime, International, Local, News, Police, Regional0 Comments

Newsletter

Archives