The matter involving Alfred “Murphy” Edwards who had been told some years ago that he would eventually be asked to vacate his location at Carrs Bay by the end of the year languishes on.
According to Murphy he was told several years prior that he will have to vacate his residence and small business on the Carrs Bay corner. He told The Montserrat Reporter (TMR) that since he had been told this by someone working for the MDC at the time, he had been in discussions with the Minister of Works who told him that they had agreed to give him lands above the location, and that a road was cut to facilitate his new residence.
But nothing happened for quite a while and eventually the Chief Minister visited with him, walked him through the new property and even with some disagreements he expected that the new construction would begin, but nothing happened. Murphy produced evidence of correspondence between the Ministries on the matter.
Then in October he received a letter from the MDC chairman, which stated : “We are aware that the Ministry of Lands held several discussions with you on this matter. But as the new landlords of this property we would like to offer you a fixed sum of EC$300,000.00 to resettle yourself elsewhere.”
The letter noted that there is a plot available in the New Davy Hill subdivision on which a three bedroom house can be built, all within the EC$300,000.00 on offer.
Murphy was advised, “if you would wish to take up this offer,” he was to contact the PIU director…”but in any case not later than October 15th 2012” The letter was dated October 3, 2012.
Murphy said the offer was contrary to any prior agreements he had with government officials and did not include his business place and cultivation, which carried significant value. He contacted his attorney, David S Brandt who on 3rd December, 2012 wrote to the MDC advising his instructions regarding the letter and other matters concerning his (client) possession and ownership of the property he occupied.
Murphy pointed out that contrary to the popular belief that he is holding up the government, the attorney’s letter noted, “My client wishes to cooperate fully with the authorities in their efforts to develop Montserrat but like to point out that he is no lesser person than any-one else. The constitution and law protects the rights of every person no matter how poor he is.”
The letter further referred to complaint by Murphy that the chairman, “in the vicinity of his premises and the hearing of his grandchildren you demeaned him to the extent of using indecent, threatening and insulting language. This should not be the behavior of a public official.”
Finally the letter said that the client “rejects your offer…and invites you to discuss with him and his legal adviser to set a mutually convenient time a way forward…before 15 December 2012.”
Murphy said nothing had taken place and he is waiting anxiously for a solution on the way forward.
Vending at Little Bay – Festival City
In the matter involving Alvin “Jim” Gerald and operating his mobile kitchen outside the fenced ‘festival city’, there has been some temporary resolution and Gerald has been operating throughout.
Gerald, had claimed that after receiving permission to operate was denied facility to operate where Montserrat Utilities Ltd. (MUL) connected and disconnected water and electricity, just before he showed up to operate the first night. A determined Gerald took his complaint to his attorney. He reported later that there was clearance and he began operating firstly with a generator after which electricity had been restored.
Reportedly, tensions over the situation had been eased following meetings between government and the MDC officials.
see additional photos of Murphy’s corner on our facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151239950220852.456179.203080105851&type=1