Categorized | Local, News

Alric Taylor former PS, new Deputy Governor

After months of advertising and re advertising since May this year, shortlisting and revisions thereof, Government House today announced that the Secretary of State for Foreign & Commonwealth Office has approved the appointment of Mr. Alric Taylor as the next Deputy Governor of Montserrat. “Mr Taylor was the unanimous choice of the local interview panel.”

The Governor on September 12, 2012 had informed the media that following the shortlisting of three of six candidates, they were required to write an essay, which required them to advise as how they would lift the status of the Deputy Governor’s office and its functions. He said the shortlist was increased to five out of the six persons and they would have been subject to individual interviews, after which a selection would have been made.

Alric Taylor

 The Premier was asked at his recent press conference, which actually took place the day after the interviews were held (Monday,  Sep 17 and 19), what his role was in the appointment of the Deputy Governor.

The Premier explained that his role is one of consultation to the Governor, who was ultimately responsible for the appointment. “My relationship would be one of discussion with the governor but the governor does not necessarily have to take my advice…in consultation means that we have a discussion…In the case of the Deputy Governor it is not a political appointment and therefore it does not fall to the remit of the premier, only consultation,” he explains.

The premier also shed some light, or hinted at his discussion with the Governor on the shortlisting confusion. “…What happened here was that I raised an objection to the short-ltising in that I did not think that the short-ltising was being done in a proper manner…therefore it could have been a set up to select somebody, so you don’t necessarily have the short listing of the best three or of the best of the lot.”

He xplained further, “you have two not so good and one very good… which means when the interviews happen the one that you wanted will come out up front. So, I’m saying no. You had some very good candidates, let all of them come before the selection panel and let the selection panel give an opinion on the basis of the interviews and on the basis of their own judgment.”

There were six applicants. After the first round of advertising, it was reported that the Governor did not feel there were enough candidates. A second advertisement was made and one additional person, after being encouraged to apply, successfully did so

The release of Mr. Taylor’s appointment announced that he will start in his new role in early November. It says: “He brings a range of relevant skills and experience, and most recently worked as Advisor to the Constitution and Commissions Secretariat. He has also served as Permanent Secretary in two departments, and as principal of the Montserrat Secondary School.”

Mrs Sarita Francis will demit the office at the end of October, having served as Deputy Governor since 2009. She was not part of the interviewing committee which consisted, H E Governor Davis, chairman; Attorneys-at-Law Kenneth Allen QC, and Mrs. Sheree Jemmotte-Rodney of the AG’s Chambers, Drew Tetlow, DFID Governance Adviser. The Governor had earlier advised that the process would be observed by John Ryan, chairman of the Public Service Commission. Mr. Ryan is also chairman of the Board of Montserrat Development Corporation.

 

Leave a Reply

Newsletter

Archives

After months of advertising and re advertising since May this year, shortlisting and revisions thereof, Government House today announced that the Secretary of State for Foreign & Commonwealth Office has approved the appointment of Mr. Alric Taylor as the next Deputy Governor of Montserrat. “Mr Taylor was the unanimous choice of the local interview panel.”

The Governor on September 12, 2012 had informed the media that following the shortlisting of three of six candidates, they were required to write an essay, which required them to advise as how they would lift the status of the Deputy Governor’s office and its functions. He said the shortlist was increased to five out of the six persons and they would have been subject to individual interviews, after which a selection would have been made.

Alric Taylor

Insert Ads Here

 The Premier was asked at his recent press conference, which actually took place the day after the interviews were held (Monday,  Sep 17 and 19), what his role was in the appointment of the Deputy Governor.

The Premier explained that his role is one of consultation to the Governor, who was ultimately responsible for the appointment. “My relationship would be one of discussion with the governor but the governor does not necessarily have to take my advice…in consultation means that we have a discussion…In the case of the Deputy Governor it is not a political appointment and therefore it does not fall to the remit of the premier, only consultation,” he explains.

The premier also shed some light, or hinted at his discussion with the Governor on the shortlisting confusion. “…What happened here was that I raised an objection to the short-ltising in that I did not think that the short-ltising was being done in a proper manner…therefore it could have been a set up to select somebody, so you don’t necessarily have the short listing of the best three or of the best of the lot.”

He xplained further, “you have two not so good and one very good… which means when the interviews happen the one that you wanted will come out up front. So, I’m saying no. You had some very good candidates, let all of them come before the selection panel and let the selection panel give an opinion on the basis of the interviews and on the basis of their own judgment.”

There were six applicants. After the first round of advertising, it was reported that the Governor did not feel there were enough candidates. A second advertisement was made and one additional person, after being encouraged to apply, successfully did so

The release of Mr. Taylor’s appointment announced that he will start in his new role in early November. It says: “He brings a range of relevant skills and experience, and most recently worked as Advisor to the Constitution and Commissions Secretariat. He has also served as Permanent Secretary in two departments, and as principal of the Montserrat Secondary School.”

Mrs Sarita Francis will demit the office at the end of October, having served as Deputy Governor since 2009. She was not part of the interviewing committee which consisted, H E Governor Davis, chairman; Attorneys-at-Law Kenneth Allen QC, and Mrs. Sheree Jemmotte-Rodney of the AG’s Chambers, Drew Tetlow, DFID Governance Adviser. The Governor had earlier advised that the process would be observed by John Ryan, chairman of the Public Service Commission. Mr. Ryan is also chairman of the Board of Montserrat Development Corporation.